10 Beginner Blogging Mistakes To Avoid At Any Cost (+ Tips to fix them)
Listen.You started your blog with all the care you could.You nurtured every blog posts with hours of planning and additional hours taking care not to make any beginner blogging mistakes.
In the hope of reaching your perfect audience and getting the blog to where you think it deserved … you shared each post on every social media platform and every Facebook group you could join.
And the result…?
Sounds like your story?
I know, because I have been there too. I have also had my fair share of rookie blogging mistakes. But now, I can proudly say that by rectifying the blogging mistakes I made as a beginner blogger, I make a living online.
About 95% of bloggers who aim at starting a blog quit halfway.
They just quit even before making a single buck from their blog.
Because, they don’t have the proper action plan of things to do after registering their domain. I know money isn’t everything, but if you’re blogging for business, writing to add that extra income to your family budget or quit that nagging job, money sure means a lot.
As bloggers, you and I are battling for attention in a distracted world.
It is very hard to hook your readers to what you are saying, leave alone selling them something.
But, at the end it all sums up to one thing. We have to try and give our best no matter what. Failure is just one more chance to re-evaluate your strategy.
Let’s start with the dumbest blogging mistakes that you must avoid like the plague.
10 Beginner Blogging Mistakes To Avoid In 2019
- Focus On Keyword Research
- Invest Back In Your Blog’s Growth
- Focus On Building an Email List
- Write In-depth, Engaging Content For Targeted Audience
- Have a Solid Blog Monetization Strategy
- Start Networking With Fellow Bloggers & Influencers
- Focus On Building Backlinks
- Don’t Let Distractions Distract You
- Increase Blog’s Visibility With Guest Posts/Contributor Accounts
- Leverage Social Media To Get Exposure
- 10 Beginner Blogging Mistakes To Avoid In 2019
- Blogging Mistake 1: Not Doing Keyword Research
- Blogging Mistake 2: Not Investing In Your Blogging Business
- Blogging Mistake 3: Not Focusing On Building A List
- Blogging Mistake 4: Posting Generic Content
- Blogging Mistake 5: Not Having A Blog Monetization Strategy
- Blogging Mistake 6: Not Networking
- Blogging Mistake 7: Not Building Backlinks
- Blogging Mistake 8: Checking Website Stats Everytime
- Blogging Mistake 9: Not Writing For Other Blogs
- Blogging Mistake 10: Not Leveraging Social Media
- Wrapping Up: Common Beginner Blogging Mistakes To Avoid
Blogging Mistake 1: Not Doing Keyword Research
Finding and using the right combination of keywords while creating content is the surefire way to increase your overall search traffic to your blogs.
See, if you are not using the keywords that your target audience might type on Google, how can you expect visitors coming from Google to read your content?
- Always focus on finding more than 3 to 4 long tail keywords. Also make sure to choose the keywords that have monthly search volume less than 2000. By selecting and using the less competitive keywords, you will not only rank higher but you will get faster results.
- Get access to keyword research tools like Long Tail Pro, SEMrush, and Kwfinder (5 free searches per day) etc. Get to know how to use them. They all have free trial versions which allow you to get the best keywords list. If you are happy with them, go ahead and buy!
- Find out what keywords your competitors are using to increase their traffic. Find out if you can use the similar keywords to increase your blog’s traffic too.
BONUS VIDEO: How To Grow Your Organic Traffic (FAST)
Watch it before moving forward, you’ll love it and go back with lots of tips to improve your blog.
Blogging Mistake 2: Not Investing In Your Blogging Business
Blogging is a business, not a hobby. Sadly, most beginners don’t realize this fact. They expect to make money blogging without investing back any into their blogs.
This is one of the biggest blogging mistakes you could make, ever!
Although you don’t have to spend thousands of dollars to create a profitable blog but you should definitely invest money on getting a good design, web hosting, having access to the right tools etc.
If you are looking to make money from your blogging efforts and take advantage of all the benefits of blogging, here are few places where you should consider investing money. See what blogging tools I personally use.
Tools, plugins or themes: Isn’t your blog your virtual office? If yes, then why not brand it with a premium theme. A premium theme, apart from making your blog beautiful and easy-to-convert, helps boost your blogging credibility.
When someone visits your blog and sees you have invested a good sum in your blog maintenance, he or she knows you are here for business and not running away.
Similarly, a premium service like Tailwind can boost your blog’s visibility on Pinterest and drive you a lot of traffic which would obviously bring you good return on investment. But for that, you have to get off and invest a minimal sum firsthand.
Invest In SEO tools like SEMrush: I have been using SEMrush to find out some real profitable keywords that aren’t hard to rank even without backlinks.
Check out my SEMrush review and tutorial guide to see how you can use it to discover untapped keywords and even spy the keywords that your competitors are targeting.
Hosting: Web hosting is extremely crucial. It not only decides your overall site speed but also search rankings hugely depend on it. So make sure NOT to go for a cheap or free hosting that usually goes down. Invest money on a reliable hosting service like Inmotion, Bluehost etc.
(For this blog, I use WPX hosting (read my WPX hosting review for 2019 or get the WPX hosting discount coupon) , it is a bit costly but provides free SSL and security, backups and brought my blog speed to under 2 seconds.) Did I say that blog speed, SSL (that https markup in the URL) are Google ranking factors?
Outsourcing: Blogging takes too much time whether it is for content creation, SEO or managing your blog’s traffic sources. If you are not willing to put time on your blogs, try considering spending money on outsourcing those tasks which will pay you in the long run.
Blogging Mistake 3: Not Focusing On Building A List
When I started blogging, I used to read these blogging for beginner guides that always advised on creating an email list.
And I always thought to myself, I don’t need those. I have a measly blog traffic, who will subscribe to my list?
But, I was wrong.
This is when I knew I had to build a email list of subscribers who I own and who own me. Having your own subscribers is great because you can connect to them when you want and they can reach out to you when they want.
An email list can help you:
- Increase your traffic (when you publish a new post and send a newsletters)
- Increases your sales (when people see value in your stuff, they buy from what you recommend for example, special deals, courses etc)
- Increases the trust (trust is the currency online!)
If you are not yet building your email list, you’re leaving money on the table!
Here are few powerful tips to quickly boost your email list:
- Getting started with list building is easy. I recommend and use Convertkit. (Instead of using Mailchimp which is a great free option, I recommend investing some bucks and getting yourself better equipped from the beginning (don’t commit the blogging mistakes I committed). With Convertkit, you can segment customers based on their interest which is a big thing as you get targeted readers = targeted sales). Click here to read how I used it to increase my list size!
- Give an incentive to your visitors. No one likes to give their email without any freebie. eBooks are often easy to create and help you quickly boost your list. Or you can create a checklist. I use my
(click on it to see the optin box) to entice subscribers.
(Or read my ConvertKit review)
Liking the tips to grow your blog so far?
Discover 7 more blogging mistakes and the best blogging advice to overcome them.
Blogging Mistake 4: Posting Generic Content
Content is the king. It doesn’t matter how much traffic or money you put, without creating engaging content, you can’t make a blog popular.
Even Google came up openly to declare that content is one of the top 3 ranking factors along with backlinks and rankbrain.
If you are struggling to increase your blog exposure with your content, try implementing the following content writing tips.
- Write detailed SEO-optimized content. Generally the blog posts with over 2,000 words always perform well in Google search results. So take time to create in-depth articles that help your audience. (Please Note:If your audience loves short form content, like in the food niche, you could obviously do that, but don’t forget to evaluate what your competitors are doing and then write better than that to outrank them. )
- Find out what your audience wants: Define your blog niche (here are 100+ blog niche ideas to choose from) and set your target audience before you create any content for your blog. That way you will be able to create laser focused content that attracts more social shares, links and sales.
Beginner Blogging Tip: Write Strictly For Your Audience
- Make your content/grammar error-free: You could use the free Grammarly browser extension (check out my Grammarly review and tutorials) for that or download this free grammar cheat sheet as a handy solution.
Must Read: Backlinks SEO (The Definitive Guide To Link Building For SEO)
Blogging Mistake 5: Not Having A Blog Monetization Strategy
Are you struggling to make money from your blog? It might be mainly because you don’t have a proper monetization plan. Without creating a strategy to monetize your blogs, you won’t get any better results no matter how hard you try.
Every beginner should know the importance of creating a blog sales funnel. Find out the ways to turn your normal website visitors into email subscribers into buyers.
I have recently invested in a premium plugin called Thrive Ultimatum (read my hands-on review here) so that I can show exact affiliate products to my niche site readers and increase sales.
This plugin can help you in setting up campaigns like the ones you see with countdown timers (ex: offer expires in 7 days). This type of hype and showcase of scarcity situation helps your visitors buy your product faster. So far, I am earning awesomely using that plugin.
Email list also comes into handy for business blogs or while monetizing a site. It can quickly help you build awareness about the products or services you promote.
Don’t just solely depend on one or two strategies such as AdSense, selling banners or affiliate marketing etc. If they fail to help you make money, you will eventually lose all the interest in blogging. Like they say, don’t put all your eggs in one basket. :)
Blogging Mistake 6: Not Networking
Connections are everything online. Without having connections, there’s no way for you to create a profitable blog that makes money.
Observe any successful professional blogger like Pat Flynn, Neil Patel, Darren Rowse and you will notice that they all have spent a lot of time in building loyal community around their blogs. And that’s how they were able to build million dollars websites online.
Even you can do that by focusing on creating fans for your blogs. Unfortunately, most beginners spend a lot of time in pleasing Google.
If you chase your target audience, Google will give you best rewards. It’s as simple as that.
Backlinks are the backbones of any website that gets huge traffic from search engines. Without building quality contextual backlinks, no matter how much content you create won’t get good results in Google.
Here are few effective link building strategies you can try to quickly boost your overall search engine traffic.
- Nothing beats engaging content that naturally attracts a lot of links. Spend a lot of time in writing in-depth articles and you will have better chances in getting more links from other blogs.
- Make sure to link out to other bloggers frequently. Do let them know about it whenever you link out. That way sooner or later, they will also start doing it when they find your content really informative.
- Guest posting is the most effective way to build backlinks. Try to write for top blogs in your industry and it can quickly help you boost your overall domain authority and backlinks.
If you follow the next 3 blogging tips, you’ll agree that they’re perhaps the best blog tips you ever read!
Blogging Mistake 8: Checking Website Stats Everytime
Seriously, most bloggers (especially when you’re beginning) check their traffic stats every single minute. It’s a complete waste of time.
When you are building a new blog, you should focus on spending your time increasing your traffic not checking the stats. If you are struggling to increase your blog traffic, try the following things.
- Create viral headlines that make people to immediately click on your posts.
- Learn the art of proper on-page SEO optimization.
- Always perform keyword research as I discussed earlier in the post. It’s a must to increase traffic to any website.
Blogging Mistake 9: Not Writing For Other Blogs
When creating a new blog, most people make a mistake of writing content only for their blog.
See, how can you reach wider audience by creating content for a new blog?
Blogging is all about reaching more people and eventually increase the exposure to your blog, right? That’s the reason why you should start creating the best content for other blogs. Write guest posts for them and you will get a lot of traffic to your own sites.
Try writing 1 post every week for any better blog in your niche and within a few months, you will not only build a lot of links but more importantly you get more exposure.
If you think your writing is not up to the mark and why would anyone read your blog posts, STOP everything now and read this post (takes 30 seconds). Okay, you can thank me later. ;)
Blogging Mistake 10: Not Leveraging Social Media
Social media is becoming the new SEO. If you are struggling to boost your search traffic, you should give a try to social media.
You can easily leverage social media traffic by connecting and reaching out to influencers on social media. Find out how can you help others with your content or tips and make sure to go viral with your stuff.
You can consider creating funny images, memes, Infographics etc. to quickly reach more audience on social media. DigitalGYD has some beautiful infographics that have earned Swadhin some awesome backlinks and shares.
Wrapping Up: Common Beginner Blogging Mistakes To Avoid
I hope you liked my collection of blogging mistakes got tips to rectify them.
Blogging is hard especially in the beginning. You will not only struggle to increase your traffic but also sales.
Every professional blogger who is making a lot of money from his blog was once a beginner and everyone makes mistakes. Building a successful blog depends on how quickly you learn from the mistakes you make.
So what are the blogging mistakes you made that cost you really badly? Share your thoughts in the comments below so that we can discuss them.