Looking for the best Copyscape alternatives for 2023?
I’ve got your back covered!
In this article, I’ll review and recommend the best alternatives to Copyscape (both free and premium ones).
Copyscape has been preventing content theft and content fraud since 2004. It helps bloggers and publishers quickly scan and detect unoriginal, plagiarized content easily.
You can also create watermarks and add banners on your website to deter content thieves or scraping.
As much as I like what Copyscape does offer, you must shell out a good amount of money to avail these which is somewhat not possible for bloggers and publishers.
Let’s check out the top free Copyscape alternatives that are bang for the buck.
Top 10 Best Free Copyscape Alternatives in 2023Here is the list of top 10 best Copyscape alternatives in 2023
Most of us know Grammarly as a tool that provides us with the opportunity to proofread our content and correct grammatical errors. But there is more to this fantastic grammar-checking tool!
On top of grammar checking, it comes packed with a powerful plagiarism detector.
Grammarly’s plagiarism checker is available as a part of the premium package that comes with additional features.
While the free plan will help you check and correct spelling mistakes and grammar errors, the premium version lets you experience Grammarly’s full power!
To use it, you will need to turn it on in the dashboard. It is ideal for college students that have cited too heavily from other sources. If you have freelancers writing on your behalf, this should be your go-to tool, as it allows you to check grammar and plagiarism on the go.
As a blogger who outsources a lot of content, Grammarly is my go-to plagiarism detection service and all content goes through it before getting published.
I’ve reviewed Grammarly’s plagiarism checker where I have real user reviews and opinions from writers and bloggers using it. Make sure to check out my Grammarly review here.
- Doubles as your grammar checker and proofreader
- Avoids wordiness
- Checks active and passive voice
- Sentence rephraser at your fingertips
- Checks your content against 8 billion web pages
- Inbuilt citation generator
- Available online (as a browser extension), as MS Word Add-in, and mobile app.
- Trusted by brands like Dell and universities like the University of Phoenix, Illinois to name a few.
- Very affordable considering the extra features it comes with.
ProWritingAid is a great personal writing coach that offers a complete writing experience. Needless to say, it is our top pick for Copyscape alternatives!
This writing assistant software features a grammar guru, writing mentor, and style editor as a single package. To complete the writing coach package, ProWritingAid features an inbuilt plagiarism checker.
I’ve written a detailed review of ProWritingAid along with all features and how they can help you fasten your process of error-free writing. Make sure to check it out.
ProWritingAid Plagiarism Checker lets you check your original content against over a billion other published works, including academic papers and web pages.
To use this add-in feature, you will need to either get the Premium Plus version of ProWritingAid which includes 50 plagiarism checks per year, or purchase the plagiarism checks independently in the premium version.
You can choose to purchase packages for 10 checks, 100, 500, or 1,000 checks depending on your checking needs. The higher the package, the lesser the spending. But I don’t see the need of buying 500 checks if all you need to check is a few research papers per year.
ProWritingAid has of a user base of over 700,000 that span from authors to copywriters to students as well as professionals and editors. You can sign up for free, but it is limited to only 19 writing reports, 500 words editing at a time and online use only!
The ProWritingAid Premium rids out the limitations by giving you full editing power. There is no word count limit when checking grammar, you get a chance to edit where you write and enjoy other amazing features. You can choose to get 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, or lifetime access.
- Best for creative writers like script writers and novel writers.
- ProWritingAid like Grammarly works with Google docs (so if you’re someone like me who mostly uses Google docs, this is for you!)
- Fixes style issues in your writing
- Perfect Whitesmoke alternative for writers
- Word explorer and contextual thesaurus.
- Available as desktop apps (Mac & Windows), browser integrations, and MS Word add-in.
- 20 Best Free Plagiarism Checkers That The Pros Won’t Reveal To You
- Grammarly Student Discount Coupon
Originality.AI is the newest Copyscape alternative in the town. In fact, it is a tad bit more than just a plagiarism checker.
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, I’m sure you’re aware of the advent of AI writers that are used to produce content with the help of AI.
However, if you’re in charge of checking outsourced content quality (as a site owner, blogger, or even someone in the academic field) you’d need a tool that detects traces of AI content in addition to the obvious plagiarism.
This is where Originality.ai comes in handy.
To know more about Originality.AI or learn about the use cases, please head over to my Originality.AI review.
WhiteSmoke is undoubtedly the No. #1 Grammarly rival! Just like the latter, WhiteSmoke features a language and grammar-checking tool with an inbuilt plagiarism detector.
Its effective deep search feature makes it stand among the best and most useful Copyscape alternatives. WhiteSmoke will detect duplicate content.
WhiteSmoke is suitable for anyone who is involved in academic writing, scientific journals, and research work.
While the plagiarism detector will help you avoid academic penalties, the grammar checker will correct all your spelling and grammar mistakes!
WhiteSmoke prides itself as an all-in-one proofreader for a reason.
Other than that, Whitesmoke helps you improve your writing style and translate full texts from over 50 languages.
- Offers grammar correction based on NLP (Natural Language Processing)
- Great duplicate content checker that scans online web pages and offline resources
- Comes with a translator and lots of documents and email templates
- Video tutorials for easy onboarding and usage.
- You can use it online across all browsers and as a standalone desktop and mobile app.
Plagiarisma stands out as one of the best free Copyscape alternatives.
It comes with other content editing and correction features including a Grammar checking tool, an article spinner, and Google Books and Google Scholar plagiarism checker.
Plagiarisma is decent in detecting and pointing out copyright infringements in coursework, dissertation, research papers, and essays.
- Available as a website, free Windows application, and Moodle plugin. If you’re looking for a portable plagiarism checker, they do have an android app too.
- Free access to the database
- Enter the URL of the live blog post (to check duplicate content) or upload supported files.
- Premium plans have no limit to text size
- Supports over 190 languages.
6 Plagiarism Checker
This anti-plagiarism tool stands out with its two distinct features.
One, it is free for life, and two, it only works as a plagiarism-checking tool.
Unlike other free Copyscape alternatives we have discussed before, Plagiarism Checker doesn’t work beyond checking duplicate content!
The plagiarism checker dons a minimalist interface. Using the tool is pretty easy!
All you need is to paste your content and click on the “Check Plagiarism” button.
- Upload URL or supported file format
- Check your text for copied content (up to 1000 words at a time)
- The plagiarism checker shows you the percentage of matching content, parts that contain copied content, and the links to original sources.
- Easy for beginners to regularly check their blog posts and find where they’ve been used by content scrapers worldwide.
While other best Copyscape alternatives in the list help you detect plagiarism, CopyGator helps you deter content scrapers by regularly analyzing your feed and alerting you when someone ha copied and published your site content elsewhere.
CopyGator is a completely free alternative to Copyscape’s premium Copysentry feature. It also offers you badges to place on your site to discourage content theft.
- Free tool to monitor your RSS feed and report your site’s content published elsewhere on the web.
- You can enter a specific feed (your site’s, for example) and CopyGator will monitor content duplication (of old and new posts) throughout the blogosphere.
- Free badge to add to your site that changes color to alert you when someone steals or copies your site’ content.
8 Plagiarism Detector
Plagiarism Detector has a lot of likeness to Plagiarism Checker. Just like Plagiarism Checker, this tool features a simple dashboard.
All you need is to paste your content and click the “Check Plagiarism” button. It has a limit of 1,000 words per search.
You can also opt for uploading a file or entering an URL if you would like to check an already published page. The final report will show the percentage of unique content and plagiarized text.
A plagiarism detector is ideal for article writers who would like to ascertain their content is unique before publishing.
- Free for life (this makes it very restrictive sometimes, but good for starters).
- Great for a quick search of content for plagiarism traces.
Dustball is another easy-to-use plagiarism checker tool that can safely be used as a Copyscape alternative. If you’re looking for a paraphrasing checker Dustball is something you should try.
Dustball’s plagiarism report is similar to what Grammarly provides and can be used as additional proof for your content submission.
Whether you’re a writer or a student, submitting a Dustball plagiarism report alongside your completed project will not only lessen the work of your client/teacher but also will impress them and boost your credibility.
- Free duplicate content detector.
- Provides you with a plagiarism report for easy submissions.
- The premium version promises 3x the accuracy and costs $8 per month.
Duplichecker is arguably the best plagiarism detection tool that offers free plagiarism checking.
Duplichecker packs additional features including grammar and spell-checking tools. You will need to sign-up for the free version to avoid the irritation that comes with entering capture codes each time you use it.
Duplichecker’s simple interface helps users detect and fix plagiarized texts on the go. All you need to do is paste the text or upload a DOCX/text file and click the “Check Plagiarism” button.
- Suitable for scanning blog posts and outsourced articles for plagiarism and spun content
- Available as Mac, Android, and iOS apps
- 50 searches of 1000 words each.
Closing our list of Copyscape alternatives is Quetext.
An advanced plagiarism checker that doubles as a citation assistant. While this tool isn’t as prominent as the others on the list, it packs some amazingly great professional features.
Quetext boasts of attracting the trust of over 2 million teachers, professionals, and students around the globe.
Its free version helps you find copied content in billions of files and similar pages online. With the free version, the word limit per search has been capped at 500 words with only 3 reports and 3 search limits.
However, the PRO version unlocks other amazing features like the DeepSearch™, which is a technology used by most reputable plagiarism detectors.
It checks your text online against other 35 billion web pages, 20 million books, and over 1 million journals.
I have a detailed review of Quetext that you should go through before investing in it.
- Unlimited searches of 25,000 words each (with the premium version)
- Multiple or bulk file uploads, PDF report of the originality score or percentage of copied content
- Sources exclusion features (Suitable for people who want to skip testing their content against their own previous work)
- Affordable alternative to Copyscape
I hope you liked our list of best Copyscape alternatives for 2023.
While the free Copyscape alternatives listed here do a good job detecting traces of duplicate content (and some even generate a report of unoriginal content), nothing beats the premium tools listed in this article.
If you truly are looking for a top-notch Copyscape competitor, I’d suggest going with a combination of:
- ProWritingAid – A thorough writing assistant, plagiarism checker, and proofreading tool that supports every writing platform and device you can think of. Use the code “GYD1925” during checkout to save 25% off your purchase!
- Grammarly ( Get Discount) – best plagiarism checker so far that sums up as a grammar & punctuation checker & will improve your English on the go.
- Originality.AI – If you’re someone who outsources content production you will like how Originality.AI detects if a certain piece of content is AI-generated.
What is your workaround for Copyscape?
Did I miss your favorite Copyscape alternative? Please comment below so we can try ’em!
Hand-picked Related Articles For You:
FAQs About Copyscape Alternatives
1. What are the best Copyscape alternatives for The Best Spinner and Instant Article Wizard users?
Grammarly and ProWritingAid are the best Copyscape alternatives for The Best Spinner and Instant Article Wizard users. If you want free alternatives, you can try plagium and Duplichecker.
2. Is there a way to check the uniqueness of articles before they are published online?
Yes, you can check the uniqueness of unpublished articles by using tools like Grammarly, ProWritingAid and Quetext.
3. Are free Copyscape alternatives any good?
Most free alternatives for Copyscape do the job just right. In case you have specific requirements or look for more polished plagiarism checking you can opt for premium tools like Grammarly.
4. Are there cheaper and more reliable alternatives to Copyscape?
Yes, ProWritingAid currently has a Lifetime Deal going on. This makes it cheaper than literally any other tool out there. Make sure to use our partner coupon “GYD1925” to save a further 25% OFF your price.
5. What is Copyscape used for?
Copyscape is used to detect content plagiarism. It is widely used by students, academics, bloggers, and freelance writers to detect duplicate content from their blogs.
6. What is the difference between Copyscape and Copysentry?
Both are premium tools by Copyscape. Copyscape helps you detect plagiarism in your submitted content. Copysentry, on the other hand, helps you keep track of your copyright infringements across the web. It notifies you whenever it traces plagiarised versions of your work online.
7. Is Copyscape free?
Copyscape is not free. Copyscape premium offers a variable pricing model based on the length of your content. It costs 3c per search for the first 200 words + 1c per additional 100 words or part thereof.