Looking for the latest email marketing statistics for 2023?
If that’s an yes, this email marketing research piece is all you need!
In this post, we’ve collected some of the most helpful email usage statistics, and we’ve done it in a way that we think you’ll find really helpful.
See, we didn’t just slap on any old stat we found on the Internet. Instead, we’ve conducted extensive research to get you stats that:
- Have a real source (by that, we mean it’s not sourced from some random infographic!)
- Are the most recent.
Our hope is that these stats on email marketing will provide you with some real, actionable insights.
Feel free to use these authentic email marketing statistics & research data to back up your articles, client pitches & social media updates. I spend a considerable amount of time (every month) in researching, collecting & validating these digital marketing statistics, so they stay updated & relevant to the SEO industry.
I would appreciate if you could link back to this page when using an email stat in your work. Cheers!
That’s enough preamble, let’s jump right into the stats. We’ve divided these stats into 4 categories, click on the link below to view the stats in that category, or hit CTRL or CMD + F to search for a specific email marketing keyword you’re looking to get stats for.
- Email Marketing Statistics Summary For 2023
- Email Marketing ROI And Conversion Statistics 2023
- Mobile Email (Device-Specific) Statistics 2023
- Email Usage Statistics 2023
- Email Automation And Personalization Statistics 2023
- Video Email Marketing Statistics 2023
Eye-opening Email Marketing Statistics List For 2023
Here is the list of latest email marketing statistics & trends for you:
- Average B2B email open rates is 24.82% as reported by GetResponse below.
- 93% of B2B marketers use email channel to distribute their content.
- According to the latest Statista report (Feb, 2021), the number of active email users worldwide are approximately above 4 billion.
- Amidst the global Covid-19 crisis studies email marketing is expected to grow at over 13.3% and reach a market size of US$17.
- When it comes to email response rates by Industry, Pet industry leads with 22.1% open rates and hobbies industry with the lowest email open rates (4%).
- The 4 most important email marketing metrics (as identified by advertisers) are CTR, conversion rate, open rate, and ROI.
- CTR of B2B email marketing campaigns is 47% higher than B2C email campaigns.
- One out of every 3 clicks (33%) on an email happen on a mobile device.
- Mobile users check their mobile 3x times more than non-mobile users.
- According to a report, nearly 4.2 billion people will be using emails by 2022. Which shows how important email as a communication medium can be.
- Top 2 most used email clients by market share are iPhone (29%) & Gmail (27%) respectively. (Litmus, 2018)
- According to a report by Coschedule, marketers who send emails on Tuesdays get the highest email open rates.
- IT, B2B and wholesale companies have the weakest mobile email open rates while TV/radio, events and real estate emails have the strongest email open rates
- Personalized email messages improve click-through rates by an average of 14% and conversions by 10%.
- Segmented email marketing campaigns result in a whopping 760% increase in revenue.
- Email is 40 times more effective in acquiring customers than Facebook or Twitter.
- People who buy products marketed through emails spend 138% more than people who do not receive promotional emails.
- Recipients are 75% more likely to click on emails from segmented campaigns than non-segmented campaigns.
Loving the cream of the crop stats?
Below are some more interesting facts on email marketing statistics that will give you a bird’s eye view of what works in the email marketing industry and how to optimize your funnels & campaigns for the best results.
B2B Email Marketing ROI And Conversion Statistics For 2023
1) What is the average return on investment (ROI) of email marketing?
According to an insight, users of email marketing systems earn $38 for each $1 they spend. A Litmus survey of 372 marketers found the same thing, with an average ROI on email marketing of 37:1 or 3700%. Litmus also found that brands that describe their email marketing efforts as “successful” were getting 42:1.
2) Does email marketing convert better than other channels?
While there’s obviously going to be a lot of variation, the email marketing conversion rate outperforms other popular channels on average.
Email marketing converts at 4.29%, which is higher than search engine marketing, direct, and social media marketing.
Additionally, 27% of respondents in an Email Marketing Industry Census in 2017 ranked email marketing’s returns as Excellent, which is higher than all other channels. The next highest-rated channel was SEO, with 22% rating SEO’s returns as excellent.
3) How does email marketing rank as a customer acquisition channel?
81%of SMBs rely on email as their primary customer acquisition channel, which was the highest number of any channel. The next highest selection was organic search, at 62%
4) What’s the average open rate for emails?
Open rates vary based on industry, which is why most statistics break it down by industry.
Here are two reports to give you a typical open rate for email marketing:
For GetResponse, the lowest open rate is the Internet Marketing industry at 16.73%, while the highest is Restaurants & Food at 39.69%. Overall, GetResponse’s average open rate across all industries is 24.82%.
For MailChimp, their average open rate across all industries is 20.81%, with the Hobbies industry having the highest open rate at 27.35%.
If you want to see these two email marketing services compared on more than just benchmarks, check out our GetResponse vs MailChimp comparison.
5) What’s the average click-through rate for emails?
According to the same reports by GetResponse and Mailchimp (linked above):
For GetResponse, the overall average click-through rate is 4.07%, ranging from a low of 2.88% for the Internet Marketing industry up to a high of 6.13% for the Arts & Entertainment industry.
MailChimp’s average click-through rates are a little lower. The average across all industries is 2.43%, ranging from a low of 1.06% for the Restaurant industry up to a high of 4.78% for the Hobbies industry.
6) What’s the average unsubscribe rate for emails?
Like the open rate, the average unsubscribe rate varies by industry. The average unsubscribe rate goes from a low of 0.10% for the Daily Deals/E-Coupons industry up to a high of 0.40% for the Construction industry.
7 Do most people read welcome emails?
Yes! Almost everyone reads your welcome email, which is why they’re such a valuable opportunity. According to GetResponse’s benchmarks, 91.43% of people open welcome emails and welcome emails also boast a 26.90% click-through rate.
8) What’s the most important success metric for emails?
Most marketers view click-through rate as the most important metric to measure the success of an email, with open rate and conversion rate taking second and third place.
9) What’s the most enticing lead magnet/content upgrade?
Lead magnets and content upgrades are two popular ways to boost your opt-in rate.
According to that same 2018 DMA Marketer email tracker survey, 30% of marketers, a plurality, view discounts as the most effective. The second most effective method was videos/articles/magazines, at 26%.
10) What’s the best way to stop people from unsubscribing?
40.3% of consumers say an option to receive emails less frequently would keep them around. That was a plurality – even higher than the people who said “Nothing – I’ll unsubscribe anyway”.
Additionally, two options centered around personalization received 40.2%, collectively.
Mobile Email Marketing Statistics For 2023
11) What percent of emails are opened on mobile devices?
55% of emails were opened on mobile devices (compared to 29% when Return Path did the same study in 2012).
Yes indeed, that means most people are reading emails on mobile devices nowadays.
12) Should you prioritize mobile optimization emails?
Yes! As you learned above, the majority of email is now opened on mobile devices, which is why 73% of marketers focus on mobile device optimization, which is the second most focused technique, only behind segmentation.
13) Do more people use webmail or desktop email?
28% of all emails are opened on webmail (like Gmail) while just 16% are opened on desktop mail (like Outlook).
14) What do people do with emails that don’t work on their devices?
If your email doesn’t display properly on a smartphone or tablet, 50% of consumers will just delete it rather than save it for later.
Email Usage Statistics For 2023
Here are a few most important email usage statistics for 2023
- There are over 4.3 billion active email users in 2021
- 86% of professionals give priority to email communication/connections.
- Russia is the country that generated the largest share of unsolicited email spam (accounting for over 23.52% of the global email spam volume).
- Post the Corona pandemic era, email marketing will be the new normal for professionals and academics.
- How many emails have been sent and received in 2020? Roughly 306.4 billion e-mails were estimated to have been sent and received each day in 2020.
15) What’s the best day of the week to send emails?
As you’d expect, people are more likely to open emails during the week.
According to HubSpot’s analysis of over 20 million emails, emails sent on Tuesday had the highest open rate. Overall, there’s a distinct drop-off during the weekend, so you’re much better off sending emails any time during the weekday.
16) What time of day should you send emails for maximum open rates?
The best times of day for open rates are:
- 8 am
- 1 pm
- 4 pm
17) What’s the best time of the day to send emails for maximum CTR?
However, the times differ for click rate, with the best times being:
- 6 am
- 8 am
- 1 pm
18) Does the day of the month affect open and click rates?
Yes! The first day of the month has the highest open and click rates of any day of the month.
19) How many emails are sent per day?
There are 269 billion emails sent per day. Statista also forecasts that number to grow to 333 billion by 2022. So yeah, you have some competition for people’s inboxes!
20) What percentage of all emails are spam?
Almost half! Nearly 50% of all emails sent are spam. It’s worth noting that spam email is responsible for 48.16% of all email traffic around the world.
21) How many email addresses do most people have?
35.2%of consumers, a plurality, have two email accounts. In total, 84% of consumers have between 1-3 email accounts, so most people don’t go beyond 3.
22) Do people use separate emails for marketing and advertising emails?
Some do, but not a majority. Nearly 77% of consumers do not use a separate email for marketing/advertising emails, while the other 23% do.
Email Automation And Personalization Statistics For 2023
23) Do personalized subject lines generate higher open rates?
Yes! Personalized subject lines (e.g. those that include the recipient’s name or browsing activity) generated 50% higher open rates and significantly higher click rates as compared to subject lines without personalized.
24) What type of email personalization do consumers prefer?
For consumers, the two most preferred email personalization options are “interests I gave in my profile” and “purchases I made on a website”.
25) Email Marketing Segmentation statistics: How many businesses use segmentation and personalization?
Most businesses – 53% – don’t use any type of segmentation and send the same message to all subscribers, according to GetResponse’s 2018 Email Marketing and Marketing Automation Excellence report.
Another eye-opening email segmentation statistic is that only 31% use basic segmentation based on demographics or interests, while only 17% use any type of rule-based personalization (like dynamic content). This shows there is still a great opportunity to build better email experiences based on the correct segmentation of your lists.
Seeing how segmentation converts? See how GetResponse can help you convert your list better.
26) What percentage of emails do businesses personalize?
A plurality of businesses doesn’t use any email personalization, with 39% of respondents saying that “almost none” of their emails were personalized.
34% use personalization on about 25% of their emails, while 27% use personalization on 50% of almost all of their emails.
27) What percentage of emails do businesses segment their emails?
While many businesses don’t use personalization, Emma did find that 29%, used segmentation on “almost all” of their emails.
21% used segmentation on “almost none”, while 50% used segmentation on 25%-75% of their emails.
28) What do most businesses use email marketing automation for?
The most common type of email automation is multi-step welcome emails for new contacts, which 47% of businesses utilize, according to that same GetResponse report.
Other popular uses for automation include blog updates (26%), event or webinar reminders (27%), and promotional sales-focused campaign emails (46%).
29) How many automation workflows do most businesses use?
Most businesses – 53% – do not use any automation to trigger campaigns.
24% do use segmentation, but only for a welcome email/series, while 24% use multiple automation workflows.
30) Do automated emails have higher open rates?
According to an analysis of over 964 million emails, automation workflows have up to 309% higher opens and up to 455% better click rates than bulk newsletter campaigns.
31) What’s the biggest benefit of automation as per marketing automation statistics?
30% of businesses view saving time as the biggest benefit of marketing automation. 22% value lead generation and 17% see it as a way to increase revenue, according to GetResponse.
32) 69% of email users report email as spam based on the subject line alone.
33) How effective are welcome emails?
Welcome emails are the most effective. On a per-email basis, welcome emails generate 320% more revenue than other promotional emails.
Video Email Marketing Statistics For 2023
34) Adding emails to your videos can increase email click-through rates by 300%.
35) Using videos in your emails can increase open rates by 19%. Make sure to use this list-building statistic by adding videos, gifs, and images with a play button (that redirect to your videos) in your email campaigns.
36) How many emails are sent every day?
205 billion emails are sent every single day. This number is predicted to cross 246 billion emails sent per day by the end of 2019.
37) Email marketing success rate as compared to social is that email reaches 79% of people you sent to on the other hand social media (especially Facebook, the biggest source of social media traffic referrer) has a reduced reach of 1-6%.
38) How many people use emails?
According to Statista, 3.7 billion people use emails. The report also says that this number (from 2017) will rise to 4.2 billion global email users by 2022.
39) What are the Latest statistics to prove email marketing is effective in 2023?
Here are the top 3 stats that prove email marketing is effective in 2023:
- An email has also been ranked as the 3rd most influential source of information for B2B audiences only behind colleague recommendations and industry-specific influencers.
- 47% of marketers rate email marketing as the most effective marketing channel (39% for social media, 33% for SEO, and 33% for content marketing).
- Furthermore, 93% of B2B marketers use email channels as the most effective way for content distribution.
These email marketing trends are only here to grow (like the global number of email users will be 5.9 Billion by 2022). That’s how effective email marketing is.
40) How many spam emails are sent per day?
On average 16 spam emails are sent per day. This number (for 2017) grew from 12 emails per day in 2015.
41) How much is an email list worth?
The exact worth of an email list depends on how engaged the subscribers are and how passionate they are about your business line. You can calculate the worth of your email list by gauging two important metrics, click-through rates, and sales page conversion rates.
42) How long has email been around?
The email has been around for the last 47 years. The first email was sent by Ray Tomlinson (the same man who invented it) on 8th June 1971.
43) How many emails does the average person receive per day?
According to DMR reports the average office worker receives 121 emails per day.
43) How many email users are there in 2023?
According to Statista, There are over 4 billion active email users worldwide.
44) How many email account users are there in the US?
According to the latest email marketing stats by Statista, there are over 254.7 million email users in the US alone.
45) What is the email usage penetration in the US?
The email usage penetration in the US is 90.3%.
46) What is the email open rates on mobile? What do mobile devices amount to for email available rates?
According to the latest reports (by Statista) portable devices like mobiles account for up to 40% of all email opens.
47) How many emails are sent and received per day in the world?
According to Statista, the total number of sent and received emails in the world is 319.6 billion.
Covid-19 Email Marketing Statistics 2023
Here are some startling email marketing statistics post the global coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic era:
- The Email Marketing market worldwide will grow by a projected US$10.5 Billion, during the analysis period driven by a revised compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 13.3%.
- As for the impact of the global Covid-19 crisis on email marketing, email marketing is expected to grow at over 13.3% and reach a market size of US$17.
- Google reveals that it detects and blocks more than 240 million COVID-related daily spam messages and in one critical week, it got 18 million daily malware and phishing emails related to COVID-19. This shows how you need to be mindful of your content as a business.
Know Any New 2023 Email Marketing Statistics & Trends?
That wraps up what we found to be the most interesting email marketing statistics that will still be relevant in marketing campaigns and funnels.
Do you know any other stats for email marketing or email marketing fun facts that should be on this list?
Let us know in the comments!